Thursday, March 12, 2015

Last of Writing Down the Bones

I thought the book as a whole did a good job at persuading the reader to write. However the last section of readings was the most inspirational for me. There were stories that gave me ideas and some even made me want to start writing in that very moment. I liked majority of the stories I read but "Go Further" and "Trust Yourself" stood out for me.
I enjoyed "Go Further" because it was about pushing yourself beyond what you may think are your limits. On a regular basis I try my best to avoid failure and this sometimes leads me to miss out on potentially great opportunities. Upon coming to college three years ago I realized that if I wanted to accomplish anything. "Go Further" reminded me of how I was when I first came to college and how much I've improved. Since I've been in Ypsilanti I have faced so many obstacles that I never thought I would or could. Today I look back proud of all that I've accomplished for the simple fact that I pushed myself to keep going in those hard times; I can now say that I learned from those times and they always, eventually, got better because I refused to give up.
"Trust Yourself" is basically about believing in yourself despite what others may think. I related to this piece for writing and in everyday life. I write poetry but I'm always hesitant to share it with other people because they might not understand or agree. They might not think that it is "real" poetry. The crazy thing is that after they read it, they usually like it. That made me realize that I need to have more faith in myself and my abilities. In life I usually do my own thing and have no problem ignoring negative opinions about how I live my life. I've learned that no matter what you do, someone is always going to disagree or have a negative opinion so you'll be better off doing what makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment