Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Girl with the Blackened Eye

Oates' story had great structure. The vovabulary and details used helped paint vivid (sometimes disturbing) images for the reader. These aspects could also drae empathy from the reader. She made characters, settings and feelings very easy to picture and understand exactly what was taking place.
Everything in the story was extremely graphic to the point where it seemed that it was all a movie. The author definitely did not hold back any details of whag happened to the women. This story reminds me of an episode from the series Criminal Minds. It's usually hard for me to read an entire [assigned] reading but creepily this one had me entertained from beginnkng to end. I had started to read just to get an idea of what was taking place, and then i found myself reading the whole thing. A good story should make it hard for the reader to stop.
I also wanted to talk about the story more in depth. This story has made me wonder with numerous stories and shows abiut this happening, how often does it happen?  With knowing how messed up some people are in this world, if i saw that girl in the passenger seat, i would call the police. I wouldnt endanger my well being but i would be blind to the situation. That girl could be someone's daughter, sister or friend; that girl could be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment